myTESOL Lounge

View Only
  • 1.  Teacher Self-Care

Posted 09-06-2022 02:00 PM
    Greetings, MyTESOL folks,

I was wondering if some of you would share your top self-care activities for teachers? Maybe ones that you do on a weekend or even small moments of self-care in between classes or meetings? It's been an especially tough year for many, and taking care of ourselves is important so that we can continue to support our students!

Thanks for sharing your tips!

------------------------------
    Chelsea Walter
    CLD Education, Colorado College
    Chair-Elect, TESOL Membership Professional Council
    United States

• 2.  RE: Teacher Self-Care

Posted 09-06-2022 02:22 PM
    Hi Chelsea,

The idea of "self-care" is a very Western, specifically US, idea.  It is very culturally bound as teachers in different countries face different challenges and different levels of support from their communities and employers.  I see you are from the US  where teachers, particularly K-12, are woefully underpaid and under-respected. The families I work with here in the US, who are from countries outside the US (Europe and Asia primarily) are horrified at how disrespected teachers (K-12 and University) are here in the US. I am wondering how our international peers see the issue of teacher respect as it relates to the need for "self-care" vs care from the community or government for a very valued position.

Regards,
    Allison

Allison Widmann, MSW, MPP, Certified TESOL
    ESL Teacher
    Language and Literacy, LLC
    United States