myTESOL Lounge

View Only
  • 1.  Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 12-08-2022 10:27 PM

JALT CUE (Japan Association of Language Teachers, College and University Educators SIG) is proud to announce a call for papers for its 6th semiannual ESP Symposium, scheduled as an online event for September 24, 2022.

Details, registration and ticketing can be found here.

The ESP Symposium offers members and non-members of the CUE community an opportunity to display a poster on a topic related to English for Specific Purposes. Previous ones have been either pedagogical or action research in nature.

Posters will be stored online as PDF files for the audience to access, and during the online symposium, Zoom breakout rooms will allow presenters to show their posters similarly to an in-person poster show, with visitors coming and going as they please.

If you are interested in presenting, please send a 75-100 word abstract to the Google Forms link. Deadline is Sunday, August 28, at 23:59pm Japan time.

The keynote speakers for this event are Joseph Falout, Matthew Apple, and Glen Hill, who will speak on "STEM English: Student empowerment and a new frontier".

------------------------------
    Mike Lyons
    SOLE Online
    Japan

• 2.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 26 days ago
    Hi all,

The  JALT CUE ESP Symposium has been redesigned and rescheduled to October 22. Both poster and slideshow presentations will be scheduled. The new deadline for submission of abstracts is September 30 at 11:59pm Japan Standard Time.

We welcome speakers from the diverse English teaching community. Details, submissions, registration and ticketing can be found on the edzil.la platform here.

Mike Lyons
    SOLE Online
    Japan

• 3.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 25 days ago
    The title and content of this post are a good reminder that it is helpful to spell out acronyms. An IEP (Intensive English Program) in which I once taught was placed under the administrative authority of a new department on campus. The reaction over there? "You guys sure use a lot of acronyms!"

Nancy Ackles
    United States

• 4.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 25 days ago
    I totally agree with Nancy! I have raised the issue of acronyms before but no one else seemed to care.  It is a real issue, even with native English speakers.  This thread is for teachers of English and we should model for our students...spell out your acronyms or don't use them at all.

Allison Widmann, MSW, MPP, Certified TESOL
    ESL Teacher
    Language and Literacy, LLC
    United States

• 5.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 25 days ago
    Sorry if the acronyms caused confusion. My original post spelled out the names.
    JALT CUE SIG is the special interest group, "College and University Educators" within JALT, the Japan Association of Language Teaching.
    Everyone here knows what ESP is:)!

Mike Lyons
    SOLE Online
    Japan

• 6.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 25 days ago
    I don't! To me, ESP stands for Extra Sensory Perception. And the issue is the subject line which has 4 acronyms in a row.

Allison Widmann, MSW, MPP, Certified TESOL
    ESL Teacher
    Language and Literacy, LLC
    United States

• 7.  RE: Call for Proposals - 6th JALT CUE SIG ESP Symposium

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Allison:

Every field has its acronyms that serve as short cuts for communication.  For instance, people in this forum for English language teachers may not know what the MSW, MPP, and LLC in your signature line mean.

TESOL International Association has created a helpful guide to common acronyms in our field.  Even so, there are many more acronyms than are included on this list!  It's great to ask questions to clarify and to start a conversation.

Nikki Ashcraft
    Past Chair, Membership Professional Council
    University of Missouri